Sunday, February 28, 2016

Thing 4: Digital Storytelling & Presentation Tools

I was very excited to see this topic! This is something I have dabbled in with my students for the past few years and really enjoy doing digital storytelling with them! I am just starting a new project with my 6th graders in which they are going to make video booktrailers and I am interested to see what tools are out there that can enhance the project!

I was excited to see the list of websites that have the "free to use" images. I spend a lot of time explaining to my students why they can't just use anything they find on the internet for their projects. It will be easier to give them the explanation and then be able to give them options of different websites to choose images from.

One tool that I have used with my students that I did not see listed is "StoryJumper". It is free to use online, but you have to pay to get a printed version of your story. It allows you to create online picture books. I have used it 3 years now, and my 4th and 5th grade students really love it! I usually spend one class period explaining how to use it- and then they are usually able to go from there on their own! They have come up with some great stories. I usually use it with my Fractured FairyTale unit and have the students create their own. You do have to create a "classroom" account and add each of your students. Then they are able to work on it only when you are signed in, which can be a pain sometimes. There is an option for them to view and work on it at home, and they provide a code and a letter you can send home to parents. Check it out at www.storyjumper.com!

I have also used Animoto with my students before a few years ago. They made videos about the theme of "community" that turned out really nice. I would like to use it again sometime!



For this lesson, I decided to explore Exposure. I found it to be quite simple to navigate. I really liked the different options for adding photos and text. I didn't do a whole lot with the one I created, but am looking forward to exploring it more. I also liked that you could add videos, sound, and other links to it (which I also did not do in my very basic one.) I could see this being a great presentation tool for students and will soon be brainstorming ideas!

I made a very basic story on Exposure using my wedding photos. These were the ones I had on hand at the moment (I promise this isn't just a ploy to make everyone look at them!). Here it is: https://briwilliams.exposure.co/brianddsayido. Yes- we had some Harry Potter touches at our wedding. No- I am not ashamed! :)

I think personally, this would be a great way to share photos with family members as well! I really enjoyed using it!





1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing Storyjumper, just added it to the cooltools post in the comments section. And loved your wedding photos. Nice work using exposure. And what a lovely wedding - you look fabulous! :)

    ReplyDelete