Monday, February 1, 2016

Thing 2: Photo Fun

Hello Again!

For this lesson, I have decided to explore using Instagram further. I downloaded the app on my phone, but have not really explored using it much beyond just posting photos (most of which are of my cat, Matilda. I'm afraid I might be one of "those" pet owners haha!)

I picked on of the photos on my phone and started playing around with the filters, as well as the brightness, structure, warmth, vignette, highlights…and more! I had no idea there were so many editing tools right in Instagram! I usually just pick a filter and post. Here was my end result:



I also enjoyed looking at the different tags on Instagram. I usually use the same ones (yes…#blackcatsofinstagram is my most used one!), but I liked exploring it as a search feature too! I think it would be a neat way to search for new display ideas! I also like the #macgyverlibrarianship tags from the Library Girl presentation I attended in November. So many cool ideas for my library!!

I think that our school could benefit from having an Instagram account. We already have a Facebook page, but the posts on there are minimum. I know some of our older students have smart phones and probably Instagram accounts. How neat would it be for them to see some of their work posted?

I also really liked some of the ideas shared in the "10 Ways to Use Instagram In Your Classroom" article. I just did a biography project with my 6th graders… how cool it would have been to have them make an "Instagram Page" for their chosen people! (I might still do that! I'd be interested to see what the kids who did Donald Trump, George Lucas, and Coco Chanel came up with!). I also liked the idea of letting the students be the ones behind the camera.  "A Day in the Life of" would be an awesome school wide project, with each classroom taking pictures throughout the day! I would also love to do a project that somehow incorporated the students and their favorite books. Maybe challenge them to take an artistic photo of their favorite book? Hmm….

I am looking forward to learning about some of the other photo tools and coming up with ideas on how to use them in the classroom!



1 comment:

  1. So many great ideas! Isn't instagram fun. Love seeing little snippets of people's day to day lives. And also the many amazing photos of people and parts of the world I may never get to see. Hope you get an opportunity to implement some of these ideas with students. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete